Grand Jury Indicts Pasadena Teen Accused of Murdering 5 Year Old Sister

An Anne Arundel County grand jury has indicted Stephen Jarrod Davis Jr., the Pasadena teen accused of murdering his 5 Year Old sister inside their home earlier this month.  

On Friday, the grand jury returned a three-count indictment, with charges including first degree murder, child abuse resulting in death and the unlawful taking of a motor vehicle.  An initial hearing has been scheduled for Monday morning at the circuit court on Church Circle in Annapolis. 

On the morning of Saturday, October 3, Anne Arundel County Police officers responded to an Applegate North residence in the 4100 block of Apple Leaf Court for a "juvenile problem" and later discovered Anaya Abdul deceased in her bed, according to court documents obtained by Report Annapolis.  An autopsy was completed, and the cause of death was determined to be multiple sharp force injuries, the manner of death was ruled homicide. 

Investigators allege Davis, a Chesapeak High School Senior who turned 18 on October 20, left a disturbing note in the home before fleeing the state.  "Honestly, I hate yall so much," the note said.  "I wanted to kill you all but I believe one is enough to cause you damage." He was initially taken into custody several hundred miles away by Ohio State Police after leading troopers on a high speed chase through I-70. 

Davis was extradited back to Anne Arundel County from Ohio several days later. At that time, he was formally booked and charged as an adult with his sister's murder.  

Anaya was laid to rest following a service in Prince George County on October 19, according to an online obituary. 

"Naya Pop, you will truly be missed," a family member wrote inside the obituary.  "You were a burst of sunshine, always so animated and excited about life." 

In a heartfelt letter written shortly after her death, Fort Smallwood Elementary School Principal Bobbie Kesecker reflected on the loss of Anaya. "Anaya, a kindergarten student at our school, was very sweet," Principal Kesecker wrote in the letter.  "She was quite animated when called upon, and always had something to say in the classroom."

Authorities have yet to specifically say how Anaya was killed.  Davis remains held without bond at the Jennifer Road Detention Center.