Nearly One Year After Annapolis Rapper is Killed, Shooter Has Yet to be Identified, Charged by Police

More than nine months after a Baltimore man was indicted on conspiracy charges related to the death of gregarious Annapolis native and promising rapper Edward Montre Seay, investigators connected to the case have yet to charge the individual actually responsible for pulling the trigger.  

 According to charging documents, on Friday, June 7, 2019 at approximately 9:19 pm, Annapolis Police officers and detectives responded to the intersection of Forest Drive and South Cherry Grove Avenue for the report of a shooting. Seay, also known by his rap stage name "Tre Da Kid," was found in the driver's seat of his vehicle suffering from a fatal gunshot wound.  He was pronounced dead at the scene by the Annapolis Fire Department. 

A primary witness to the investigation, who was in the front-passenger seat of Mr. Seay's vehicle at the time of the shooting, stated the gunshots were observed coming from the rear driver side of the vehicle which was traveling to the right of Mr. Seay's vehicle. The witness positively identified the driver of the vehicle as James Esau Davis, 30, of Baltimore Maryland. Davis was arrested on June 20, 2019.

It took detectives with the Annapolis Police Department less than two weeks to make an arrest after it had been determined that 32 year old Seay was shot to death while driving his vehicle outbound on Forest Drive the night he died. On June 20th, Davis was arrested in relation to Seay's murder.  A few weeks later, he was indicted by an Anne Arundel County Grand Jury on several charges including conspiracy to commit murder in the first degree and accessory after the fact.  The conspiracy charge alone carries a life sentence. 

Prosecutors declined to comment on the case, however Annapolis Police released a statement to Report Annapolis acknowledging Davis remains the only person charged in Seay's murder.  "James Esau Davis is the only person charged in the murder of Edward Montre Seay," said an Annapolis Police spokesperson.  "The investigation is ongoing."

Davis remains held without bond at the Anne Arundel County Detention Center.  A trial in his case is scheduled to last 8 days starting on January 4, 2021 at the Circuit Court in Annapolis, according to online court records.