Annapolis Juneteenth Celebration Returns June 19-20 with Concert, Parade and Festival

The City of Annapolis has announced plans for its sixth annual Juneteenth celebration, featuring a waterfront concert on Friday, June 19, followed by a parade and daylong festival on Saturday, June 20. 

The two-day celebration will commemorate Juneteenth, often referred to as America’s second Independence Day, with live entertainment, food vendors, community gatherings and cultural programming throughout the city.

The festivities begin Friday, June 19, with a free Juneteenth concert and celebration hosted by the City’s Department of Recreation and Parks from 3 to 7 p.m. at adjacent waterfront venues, Carr’s/Elktonia Heritage Park and the Annapolis Maritime Museum Park and Pavilion at Ellen O. Moyer Park. The event will feature food trucks and musical performances on two stages and is open to the public.


City officials said parking at Ellen O. Moyer Park will be limited and primarily reserved for individuals requiring accessible access.
 
Additional parking will be available at Bay Forest Shopping Center, Hillsmere Elementary School and PAL Park, with free shuttle service operating between the parking areas and event grounds. 

Attendees are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets for seating and wear comfortable walking shoes due to uneven terrain in portions of the site. A cooling bus will also be available. In the event of rain, musical performances will move to the pavilion at the Annapolis Maritime Museum Park and Pavilion. No rain date has been scheduled.

The celebration continues Saturday, June 20, with the annual Juneteenth Parade organized by the Celebrate Annapolis Juneteenth Corporation. The parade will step off at noon from the intersection of Calvert and Bladen streets after participants assemble along St. John’s Street. The route will proceed through downtown Annapolis by way of Northwest Street, Church Circle, West Street and Amos Garrett Boulevard.

Motorists should expect parking restrictions and rolling road closures along the parade route. The Annapolis Police Department will oversee traffic control and direct vehicle and pedestrian movement throughout the event.

For attendees traveling downtown, paid parking will be available at city garages, including a special $5 all-day parking rate at Park Place from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Additional parking will be available at the Knighton and Gott’s garages, both served by the free Magenta Shuttle. The Calvert Street Garage, located closest to the parade starting point, is free on weekends.

Following the parade, the Juneteenth Festival will take place from 1 to 9 p.m. at the Bates Athletic Complex. The free event will feature live music, entertainment, vendors and food. Organizers noted that the festival is alcohol-free.

Organizers of the Celebrate Annapolis Juneteenth Festival yesterday announced the cancellation of this year’s festival, citing environmental concerns at the event property and what they described as insufficient support from the City of Annapolis. Mayor Jared Littmann said city staff worked collaboratively to address planning concerns that arose earlier in the week and ensure the event could move forward.

“The Celebrate Annapolis Juneteenth Festival is a vital cultural touchstone for our City,” Littmann said. “We had some hiccups with the planning earlier in the week, but our team from multiple City departments came together to resolve those challenges. I also want to acknowledge Bishop Coates, who was patient in working with us to ensure our shared interest in the success of the festival. I’m happy the festival will go forward, and I look forward to seeing everyone on the 20th!”
Bishop Craig Coates welcomed the resolution and continuation of the event.

“I am grateful that a resolution has been reached and that the festival will continue as a longstanding tradition that honors the culture, history, and roots of our community here in the City of Annapolis,” Coates said.

In conjunction with the holiday, City of Annapolis offices will be closed Friday, June 19. The Pip Moyer Recreation Center and Stanton Center will also be closed. Refuse and recycling collection schedules will remain unchanged, and Annapolis Transit will operate on its normal schedule.

The City is encouraging attendees to stay informed throughout the celebration by signing up for updates from the Annapolis Office of Emergency Management. Event-goers can receive alerts by texting “JUNE 2026” to 38276 and can also download the PrepareMe Annapolis mobile app for real-time information.

Comments